Tuesday 13 August 2019

Lomo Saltado- Serves 3-4 (Gluten Free/Wheat Free and Red Meat Free)



I struggled to get a good picture of this dish due to it disappearing into my belly so quickly!

When I visited Peru a couple of years ago I fell in love with the food and the blends of flavours they used in their dishes. After finally deciding to try making Peruvian food I had to do a bit of experimenting with ingredient swaps to keep the great flavour but keep my belly happy!

This version of Lomo Saltado, which is traditionally made with beef but can also use alpaca meat, is red meat free and wheat free (it can also be completely gluten free I just only had malt vinegar in the house!).




Ingredients 

2 tablespoons oil (I used sunflower oil)
3-4 turkey steaks, cut into strips (can be substituted for beef steaks)
1 small onion, sliced (I prefer red onion)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1-2 tomatoes, sliced
1-2 tablespoons hot sauce (I used sriracha)
1-2 tablespoon vinegar (can be white/distilled/malt depending on preference and whether you want gluten free or wheat free)
2-3 tablespoons gluten free tamari soy sauce 
Fresh Parsley, a generous amount, chopped
Chips/french fries (you want a decent trayful and better if slightly chunky)
Salt and Pepper

Method

1. Put the chips in the oven to cook completely while you cook the rest.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the pan and add the turkey with a healthy seasoning of salt and pepper. Cook the turkey until cooked through and starting to brown.
3. Remove turkey from the pan and set aside
4. Add the other tablespoon of oil into the same pan and add the onion and cook until softened and starting to brown.
5. Add the garlic, tomatoes, and hot sauce and cook until tomatoes are starting to release juices (about 5/6 minutes)
6. Add vinegar and soy sauce and stir in for about a minute
7.  Return the turkey to the pan along with the chips and parsley, mix together so the sauce covers everything and serve immediately

(I didn't have this with rice but it can also be served with rice on the side).



No comments:

Post a Comment